Matteus Hjw

Leaking walls

Walls are leaking from corner and other wall joints I to the basement. Builder and Superior Walls is very unhelpful.

At least stand by ur work! Anyone else able to get Superior Walls to actually fix their walls instead of adding sealant and leaving?

Preferred solution: Walls fixed/replaced and sealed properly instead of just sloppy caulk

User's recommendation: Stay away from Superior Walls

Guest

No customer service and DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THERE WORK UPPER MANAGEMENT WILL NOT TALK TO YOU - or have someone call from management

Anthony Z Nal

I’m sorry to say, but we do have a little issue we never allowed for the 4 inches for the in floor heating system

Im sorry to say but we do have a little issue. It is probably my fault we did not allow for the 4 inches for in floor heating

now the headers if possible have to be cut 4 inches to allow for the cement so I just called Superior Walls to see what they can do to solve this problem.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated

Preferred solution: Just need to talk to a rep at Superior Walls

DENISE P Fjn
map-marker Summit, Pennsylvania

Walls caving in

This winter we heard what sounded like gun shots in our basement. Turns out the Superior Walls were separating from the house and the bolts and joists were snapping.

We are in a condo that we bought 1.5 years ago. Its about 15 years old. Superior and the original builder will do nothing for us at this point. We have huge gaps between the foundation wall and the structure.

The condo association is pushing back on the repairs even though its part of the common area. We dont own the foundation.

Huge mess! Lawyers will have to be involved.

Preferred solution: The walls fixed

User's recommendation: No way!

Christine D Hpc

General

We built a southern exposure superior wall basement in Pa. It was a prow front log home.

We lived there for years and never experienced any issues at all. The one wall was into the slope for mechanicals. I was very pleased with our decision to use the company. Prior to this we tried poured concrete...and had trouble with home as it settled.

Next we tried block. So I built three homes.

User's recommendation: Recommended

JOHN K Hpx

Not happy

Concerned with walls. Installation was done 2003.

Saw expterior cracks in several areas, some thick some thin. Someone came out and inspected interior and exterior. They cut the insulation in several places, filled the cracks and went on his way.

Here we are in 2021 and behind the pieces of cut insulation is all wet. Clearly out of warranty but issue has been addressed without a real solution from the beginning.

Cons:
  • Leak
  • Service after the sale and several others listed

map-marker Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Inadequate response from company

Shift the blame to my home owners association. I can see the water leaking through a pinhole in the Conner of my basement.

When I called to see when they would come out to fix the problem,she laughed at me. Some customer service!

I dont trust anything they say and will be contacting a lawyer. I have no idea why any contractor would use this company.

Michael J Osu

Leaking Walls

Corners were incorrectly sealed if they were even sealed and water is puddling in the corner running down the inside wall. two more inspectors headed out this week to evaluate the situation.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Leak

Preferred solution: Still evaluating the issue

User's recommendation: Be very cautious they do not last once out of the 10 year warranty

Mark M Jlk

| map-marker Heath, Michigan

Make sure your builder properly secured Superior walls to the homes rim/joist framing.

Make sure your builder properly secured Superior walls to the homes rim/joist... - Image 2
Make sure your builder properly secured Superior walls to the homes rim/joist... - Image 3
Make sure your builder properly secured Superior walls to the homes rim/joist... - Image 4
Make sure your builder properly secured Superior walls to the homes rim/joist... - Image 5

After 13 years with no visible issues we noticed my parents Superior walls bowing in. 7 1/2” in the center of the house.

The opposite side of the Superior walls had zero movement because of the walkout. Both gable ends were bowing in about 1 1/2”. I attribute the bowing to two things. One is the abnormal amount of rain we have had the past two years, and, two, the big issue, the walls were not secured to the homes rim and joist per Superior directives.

Superior rep was very helpful in providing information of what should have been done and what could be done for a fix. The fix involved us excavating the walls down to within a foot of the Superior wall to clear stone footing juncture. We left one foot of soil for two reasons. One to avoid disruption of the footing and two to prevent panel kick out.

After excavation we placed turn buckles mounted to 4X4 timber every four feet on center. We then shored the house up to relive the majority of the homes weight on the wall panels top plate. Then using Porta powers, three of them, we slowly pushed the panels back to plumb. After removing the shoring we braved the walls to rim joist with L2X2X3/16”x12” with a total of eight Simpson 1 1/2” SDS screws.

In lieu of Superiors 16d toe nails at each joist we used a Simpson LZ42 again with 1 1/2” SDS screws. Also added one 4 1/2” Simpson SDS screw between wall top plate and each floor joist. All worked well. Back filled with no movement.

Fortunately for my parents myself and a few other relatives are in the building trades and were able to do the project rather inexpensively.

I estimate a cost of 20,000.00 if we did this scope of work for anyone else. I believe Superior walls are a good product but too often the builders do not follow correct installation procedures as in the case of the moron that installed my parents Superior walls.

Pros:
  • One day install
Good customer service
Juniel Drp

Hey there, My house has the same exact issue. About 7.5" in the center.

This is the first hand experience with this that I've been looking for.

You wouldn't happen to have any other photos would you? 303 619 **** Brian

Guest

If you were in the trades why didn’t you inspect for your parents as the job was going on ??

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1796807

Thanks for asking. I did.

Caught a number of punch list items and since the rim was insulated before I could see the house to panel connection I did not pull back insulation as I should have. I trusted no contractor was not inept enough to not properly secure the panels to the framing seeing that could lead to major problems and litigation.

Contractor went under in 08 and chasing his insurance this many years later not worth it. Would have had more money in attorney that it cost to just fix the issue before major collapse.

View more comments (2)
Randy M Cok
map-marker Heidelberg, Pennsylvania

Excellent product!!

As an excavating contractor in the PIttsburgh area, we had our first experience with Superior in 1994 at a trade show, with a cement mixer parked on one of the panels, laying on it's side. While we don't personally install them, we excavate for them, I'd guess we've done 40-50 of these, some very complex, never once a call back.

I have them in my house I'm selling, they were installed in 2007, flawless. I'm upset to see some of the stories here, it seems the workmanship is very poor with other dealers. Collier Foundations does expert work, and makes sure it's right! We prepare the footers for them, compacted gravel, within 1/8" of level, checked with a laser, we compact that gravel for a LONG time.

If the walls were built correctly there is no way they could be out of square, they come out of a mold! You have to be sure and have the basement slab poured and at least the first floor deck installed and bolted down BEFORE you backfill!! If you backfill with mud, have water directed at the foundation, it will fail no matter what system you use. We ALWAYS use crushed limestone a foot thick the entire height of the buried wall, yup, it's more money, but is $1200 worth it?

I'm building a new house in August of 2019, It's getting Superior Walls. I finished the basement in the "old" house, the built in studs make it easy, but you do have to build your own corners for the drywall.

Sounds like you need to be harder on the excavator or installer. Sorry to hear your poor experiences.

Pros:
  • Level
  • One day install
  • Warranty
Cons:
  • Requires professional
Good quality
Guest

Glad to hear the positive feedback. I haven’t used superior walls, but am considering them.

I have been in construction for 30 years.

Most problems in construction arise from poor workmanship. Do your homework on your contractor before you hire them.

Brian T Dhi
map-marker North East, Pennsylvania

-0- Warranty Support

Superior Walls - -0- Warranty Support
Superior Walls - -0- Warranty Support - Image 2
Superior Walls - -0- Warranty Support - Image 3
Superior Walls - -0- Warranty Support - Image 4

I've had leaking seams one of which has been getting progressively worse after it started 3 years ago. Call after call to Superior Walls of NW PA has yielded -0- results.

We get excuses, promises to come out that get blown off, they don't return our calls, etc. I've kept a chronology of what we've gone through and you would not believe it if you read it. We did have one guy come out and he said he didn't know how to fix the leak and asked me what he thought he should do. I told him HE's the expert not me.

They came out two years ago and dug outside the house. Went three feet down, crushed my gutter drain pipe and said that was the problem. He fixed the pipe and guess what? The next time it rained the leak is still there getting worse every day.

After digging up the outside of the house they did nothing to repair the damage to the landscaping. I am now involved with the PA Attorney General's Office and will litigate as soon as this plays out. I would never use Superior Walls if I could do it over. The walls themselves are great.

The service from this company is pathetic. I would be ashamed if I worked for this company.

I've prided myself on giving 20 of quality service in the professional services industry. These people know nothing about customer service.

Cons:
  • Non existent product support
  • No follow up
  • Promises made and not kept
Poor customer service

Al L Umc

Hi, I am the general manager of Superior Walls of the Northeast. If your issue is still unresolved and you have questions or still need assistance please feel free to contact me.

My information Al Lunn email: alunn@superiorwallsnew.com phone: (845) 453-0892. I would be happy to advise or assist if I can. Superior Walls are a building product, like every other building product you can find at your lumber yard or building supply. They do have to be used correctly just like every other building product.

Very frequently we get called when there are issues because the builder is out of business, can't be found or won't respond.

We print our name , phone number and website on every wall so you can always find us. Thanks Al

Guest

I have built 4- custom home for my clients using both type of wall and I can not say enough good this about this product I built 1-home that had 1200-s.f. foundation totally open across the back 40-long that was built in 2003 never had any problems, I built a home in Latham Il.

with a 3000-s.f. basement it is one of the best foundation system we done yet, no damp musty smell, no leaks, no movement, for a basement that size plus you can make safe room real easy under front porches and you don't loss basement space for about half to do poured walls. The problem is there is a exact system and science for putting them in they have to be back filled with rock and drain tile at footing.

I help a contractor in 2000 and another contractor built the home next door had same superior wall foundation and it has leak ever since they built it but the house we built had no problems because it was properly install. This is a highly controllable system I can not stress enough how important it is to know what your doing before you do it and that the builder has the experience to do the job correctly.

View more comments (1)
Mandy H Dfq

Walls separating and failing

We had our Superior Walls walls installed back in 2005 and were told yesterday by a structural engineer, they all needed to be replaced. He stated their was no other option for a fix and low grade materials were used.

Over the past few years they have all separated, pulled apart, shifted forward, cracked, and completely sunk into the ground in many areas.

I think the other member that stated we should all call the State Attorney is right, or at least a class action law suit.

Bad quality
Whitney Bfy

I have the exact issues here, My Superior walls have water running into the corner and puddle up. Was told that the material is defective. Another engineer inspector headed out this week.

reply icon Replying to comment of Whitney Bfy

Whitney, Who did You email? Was it sent to me? Thanks Al

reply icon Replying to comment of Whitney Bfy

We called someone to come out a few years back. He said they were stress cracks.

He cut the insulation in certain areas in the basement, looked for leaks, "repaired" the cracks by filling them and left. We are in thr process of finishing our basement and sure enough, after removing the pieces of insulation their rep cut, there is more leaking and now I see what looks like mold.

Whitney Bfy

I sent another email to see if I get any response.

Al L Umc

Jaquil, Hi , I'm the general manager of Superior Walls of the Northeast , My Contact Information Al Lunn alunn@superiorwallsnew.com. Where is your home located?

If it is in my area I'll send my foreman out to look at what is going on and see what might be needed for the repair.

If it is not in our area, I can put you in contact with the right Superior Walls Company for your area. Thanks Al

Michael J Osu

Same issues here, My Superior walls have water running into the corner and puddle up. Was told that the material is defective. Two more inspectors headed out this week.

Al L Umc

Hi , I'm the general manager of Superior Walls of the Northeast I would be happy to send one of my foreman to come visit your home and inspect it. We would be happy to have another engineer give you a second opinion.

Nothing in the photos attached to the complaint are indicative of a structural issue. My Contact Information Al Lunn alunn@superiorwallsnew.com Thanks Al

Dagny Ifw

Seems like I'm having the same issues. A geo-tech tested the ground and it's ok.

He said I should call Superior Walls, which I did. I just sent them pictures yesterday. They're saying if it's for sure their walls, which hopefully the pictures will determine, they'll take care of it, but that remains to been seen. My email is kenlatall@***.com.

Anyone having issues should all get together and see if we need a class action suit. I know I'm speaking prematurely on my part, because they haven't denied me a fix yet.

But I want to be prepared for the worst. Also, it'll help others form a group in case they decide they need legal representation.

Guest

Looks like some very poor prep work of the site, I'd like to see pictures inside, did you remove the bolts? Did they break apart? We've been excavating for this wall system for over 25 years, never a call back, but installed incorrectly I can see it being a disaster.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1723694

I too have been installing these walls for 20 years. No issues at all.

I am always looking at these reviews to make sure what I am installing is good quality. Most that I can see look like poor site work.

I'm still looking though. Making sure it is the case.

View more comments (11)

Superior Walls - Walls Completely Failing - Image 3
Updated by user Aug 02, 2018

We had our walls installed back in 2005

Original review Jul 19, 2018
We had our Superior Walls walls installed back in 2015 and were told yesterday by a structural engineer, they all needed to be replaced. He stated their was no other option for a fix.

Over the past few years they have all separated, cracked, and completely sunk into the ground in many areas. The house is 4000 sq ft, two stories, and has completely shifted. You can feel the difference and see where the walls are failing and faulty. I tried calling and emailing Superior Walls for three days now, and got no response.

I think the other member that stated we should all call the State Attorney is right. By not getting back to the consumer, this company has no integrity and the product they are selling is faulty.
Damaged or defective

Guest

I have 24 year old Superior Walls. They have been great.

Many of the houses around us have water in the basements because of all the intense rain and storms. Superior walls were also used on the 3 houses around us and we are some of the few without water issues. I did notice the caulk between the panels failing about 5 yrs ago. I expected this to go all of the way down to the footings, but it didn't.

It was only the areas exposed to sun and weather.

Anyway, the exterior caulk is just the first line of protection, and the interior joins were in tact. I dug out and replaced the exposed caulk using 'Superior Sealant', and foundation-grade urethane and have had no issues since.

Al L Umc

Hi, I am the general manager of Superior Walls of the Northeast. We did not manufacture or install your foundation, however if you have questions or need assistance please feel free to contact me .

my information Al Lunn email: alunn@superiorwallsnew.com phone: (845) 453-0892. I do not know the specifics of your issue but I would be happy to advise or assist if I can. Superior Walls are a building product, like every other building product you can find at your lumber yard or building supply. They do have to be used correctly just like every other building product.

Larisa Bsh

Thank you for contacting the Superior Walls Corporate Office. We hope our recommendations we provided you through email will be of assistance. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

reply icon Replying to comment of Larisa Bsh

Everyone on this board can see below what you stated: For the statement that it's the "Builders fault," is negligent on Superior walls part. It would hold true if we all used the same builder, which is not the case.

We all would be using different builders, making your product low grade and at fault for failure. However, I will task myself to reach out to each one that is having the same issue, and get their builders name and follow up. As for the the helical pier that you recommended, it would be a good option if your walls were holding tight and functioning properly. I could send 50 more pictures for everyone to see what we are referring to.

The company that we brought in stated this would not work in our case, the walls have been effected by moisture, cracks, crumbling, and completely separating. Also, who would want to have to invest more money on the helical pier option, when we paid for your walls to support our house and family. That would be an extra step and expenses. "We have reviewed your pictures and the info you provided.

We are sorry to see you are experiencing issues with your house and in particular with the footing beneath your foundation walls. Superior Walls foundations are manufactured and installed by independent licensees of Superior Walls of America. Each plant provides a limited warranty on their Superior Walls products and service under the warranty is solely the responsibility of the licensee. Your foundation was manufactured and installed by Superior Walls by Jointa Lime, as you know.

They are, unfortunately, out of business since 2009 and are unable to get out there to help you investigate how to remedy the failure of the footing under the wall panels. But, we are happy to try to help provide an evaluation and a recommended fix here from our corporate office. The Superior Walls panel are typically set on a crushed stone footing. The crushed stone footing must be place on virgin soil and, in daylight basement areas, it must be protected by backfill or a patio.

Here is a detail from our Builder Guideline Booklet that provides specs on the footing that was likely used in the corner of your house that has some of the crushed stone washing away from underneath the wall panels: It is our recommendation that a structural engineer should evaluate the foundation/footing and recommend a fix. The fix could likely involve a product like what is known as a helical pier.

This is a structural repair that is used to level and stabilize a foundation. If you would like, we can provide the contact information for an engineer in NY state that is familiar with Superior Walls products."

Guest

I have walls that have issues can you let me know what if resolve you got? Mine leak in the corners.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1527309

Superior Walls is completely not taking ownership of faulty walls. They basically said it's the builders issue that installed, and they wont help in any way....Which is ridiculous, it's their product.

They don't offer any options to fix. They basically said they wont even come and look at the issues.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1527309

Could you tell me who your builder was? I am trying to gather information, as Superior Walls is stating not their issue, but our builders.

I disagree, and believe it was the materials used. Thanks in advance.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1529523

Sorry to hear you are having issues. Jointa Lime was our builder, which is now out of business.

I spoke with a corporate Representative over at Superior Walls and their builder issue is a run a round I believe. We have a contractor here as we speak and they have ripped all the drywall off and you can see where they are pulling apart and cracking on all panels.

Where are you located? Products are low grade, don't hold up in below zero weather, and no frost wall protection.

View more comments (7)
map-marker New York, New York

Run Away

Flooded basement with not even a return phone call from superior walls.

Al L Umc

Hi, I am the general manager of Superior Walls of the Northeast. If you have questions or need assistance please feel free to contact me .

Construction and Repair Expert Talks

All the Truth About Manufactured Homes - Interview with L. A. ‘Tony’ Kovach (Part 1)

Aug 18, 2020

In this video, Tony Kovach, an expert with the manufactured homes industry, explains where manufactured houses are made, their average cost, and their main benefits over regular and mobile houses.

Read full article
L. A. ‘Tony’ Kovach
L. A. ‘Tony’ Kovach

Tony Kovach is an MHProNews publisher and one of the key experts in the Manufactured Homes Industry with over 25 years of experience. He shares the latest industry insights and tips.

Donna C Fbr
map-marker Hoopers Creek, North Carolina

Within Tolerance !

So disappointed in the installation of our Superior Walls. Corners not fitting, crushed panels , sloppy dripping chalk.

The owner just kept telling us that everything was with in HIS Tolerance! Building not in square, the list goes on and on.

Very upsetting to start building the house of your dreams on a very INFERIOR FOUNDATION. D.Cook

Damaged or defective

Jeff E Znh

Wrong Dimensions

Just used superior walls on a build for the first time. Rep said he would help every step of the way.

Sent him prints and everything looked good. Got it installed. Dimensions are off and home is out of square by almost 3 inches. Had to throw garage walls away because of wrong dimensions and now we’re about 6k dollars extra in because we disturbed the garage dirt and had to dig down 9 ft get an engineer and fill back up with ABC rock and tamp and now have to do a traditional garage foundation.

Not to state the walls weren’t built with it having a brick foundation and they expected us to backfill 6ft for the garage slab.

All in all will never use again. We have two basement jobs coming up and we will be doing traditional forms.

Not as described/ advertised

William M Lnb
map-marker Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Walls cracking alot. Not level and foundation is moving .

My house is 18 years old now but the walls are slowly moving out of level and shifting under the weight of the dirt . I can hear them popping when its cold out. Should have used block.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article